Rav Barry’s Israel
Join Temple Beth-El and Rav Barry (Rabbi Barry Leff) on a trip to Israel that will take you beyond the major tourist sites and headlines. You don’t have to be a member of Temple Beth-El, and you don’t have to be Jewish to join our tour.
Rav Barry is a dual Israeli-American citizen. Here in Birmingham until June, 2018 as the interim rabbi for Temple Beth-El, he normally makes his home in Jerusalem. Even if you’ve been to Israel before, Rav Barry promises you’ll get to see some sides of Israel you likely haven’t seen.
The tour will include some of the “must see” items that are on most itineraries:
- Walking tour of the Old City of Jerusalem
- Pray at the Kotel (Western Wall)
- Hike (or take the cable car) to the top of Masada
- Float in the Dead Sea and enjoy a spa
- Visit Ceasarea, a magnificent ancient Herodian city with a restored Roman-era amphitheater, beautiful harbor, and fascinating archeological remains.
The tour will also include a deeper look at Israel:
- Get to know the people – meet Israelis from different walks of life (peace activists and settlers); meet some Palestinians.
- Visit the West Bank and see first-hand what’s going on there – from both the Palestinian and Israeli perspectives. Security permitting, we’ll also visit the Cave of Machpelah in Hebron, the second holiest site in Judaism, where according to ancient tradition the tombs of the patriarchs and matriarchs are located.
- For those with good fitness, a chance to do a little hiking on the Israel National Trail, possibly some optional mountain bike riding.
- See some of the holy sites of the other Abrahamic faiths, Christianity and Islam.
- A real “Jerusalem Shabbat” with home hospitality with Israelis.
Dates: April 22 to May 3, 2018
Land only: $2895 per person, double occupancy, all inclusive
Air: We currently have a price quote of $1100 for a group flight out of Atlanta that needs at least 10 participants, including a bus to Atlanta (that price is not guaranteed yet). Tickets from Birmingham are currently about $1300 through Travelocity.
The price above is based on a minimum of 15 participants. Maximum number of participants is 40. Nonrefundable deposit of $200 is due by October 15.
The tour is aimed at adults – minimum recommended age is 16.